Lymph Therapy (haumanu waitinana) and Therapeutic Massage (mirimiri haumanu)
Diane specialises in Manual Lymph Drainage and Lymphoedema Therapy in addition to Relaxation & Therapeutic Massage.
Lymphatic Drainage or Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) is a gentle, rhythmic, manual technique performed on the skin which stimulates fluid movement in the tissues. This helps to clean tissues and drain waste products leading to greater cell health.
MLD also affects the nervous system by blocking pain messages thereby reducing pain and promoting relaxation and a sense of wellbeing. It is thought that increased lymph flow has a positive effect on Immune Function as harmful substances move more rapidly towards lymph nodes to be inactivated.
MLD is proven to be beneficial post injury or surgery as it drains local swelling and bruising, treats the surgical scar and stimulates the regeneration of damaged lymph vessels.
Lymphoedema is a swelling caused by a buildup of fluid in the tissues caused by either a poorly formed Lymphatic System called Primary Lymphoedema or as a result of trauma, surgery, removal or Radiation of Lymph Nodes which is called Secondary Lymphoedema. Therapy assists with relieving the symptoms of Lymphoedema and involves MLD, compression bandaging / compression garments, exercise and skin care.
MLD is beneficial for a range of conditions including –
- Pre & post surgery (Joint Replacement, Cancer, Plastic & Reconstructive, Scar treatment)
- Lymphatic (Lymphoedema, Lipoedema, Chronic Oedema)
- Chronic Inflammation (Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Bronchitis, Acne, Rosacea, Arthritis, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, RSI)
- Orthopaedic & Musculoskeletal (Fractures, Dislocations, Haematomas, Sports injuries/post event recovery)
- Circulatory (Venous ulcer, swollen limbs)
- Neurological (Migraine, Concussion, Stroke, Headache)
Qualifications and Member Associations
- Certified Level 1 Course Teacher, Dr. Vodder School International 2018
- Certified MLD and Lymphoedema Therapist, Dr Vodder School in Austria in 2008
- Diploma in Therapeutic Massage Level 6 at the New Zealand College of Massage 2007
- BA Nursing 1998
- Registered Nurse since 1989